Monday, March 14, 2016

Background Story

The reason why I have decided to create this magazine is because of my Great Uncle Jesse's Story. His story truly amazes me and I want to share it with anyone willing to listen. It is beautiful as well as tragic. I plan on incorporating this story into my magazine to give the readers a sense of the purpose and understanding of my passion for baking. Here is my summary of an article posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 in the Miami Herald, called "Jesse Quesada | Longtime Coral Gables baker" by Elinor J. Brecher. The summary also has some tidbits added from my personal knowledge of the story.

     Jesse Quesada worked at an Ybor City restaurant as a teen, and left high school at the age of 17 to join the U.S. Navy. He was shipped out to Okinawa in August 1945 during World War II. While there, he learned baking from Jewish sailors. Once he returned in 1946, he married Dolores Florez, my Great Aunt Loli, and began working for a 42-store commercial bakery called Grables. Here, he rose from a truck driver to a vice president, saving enough money to then start his own bakery. He bought space on 248 Andalusia Ave. in Coral Gables, FL and named it Andalusia Bake Shop after the street. For years, he spent more time in the bakery than at home; he sometimes slept on sacks of flour to sleep. Soon he hired enough employees that he trusted to help run his bakery. 
     The items Jesse sold were so delicious that people were willing to pay top dollar for them. He once tried to raise the prices to slow the frantic pace, but it didn't work. After a particularly overwhelming Thanksgiving, he decided to stop taking holiday phone orders. One Thanksgiving Andalusia had over 500 orders. Realizing they didn't have a place to put all of this food, they rented two school buses, put brown paper on the windows, scrubbed them down, rented air conditioning units and backed the buses up to the bakery, and labeled the buses A-H and I-Z for last names of the orders. 
     Business was booming. Along with Jesse's wonderful talent, and successful business, he also had a very generous heart. He kept the neighborhood police and fire stations well supplied. He also donated pastries to any civic group that asked. Once, he even hired a man purely out of needing a job. He didn't have any talent in baking, so he was paid to clean up, like sweep the floors and wash the dishes. One day, when my Uncle Jesse didn't go into the bakery, the man he hired, Orlando Irina-Diaz stabbed the head baker five times with a French Kitchen knife. His name was Ernesto Torres and he was a 57-year old grandfather. He staggered through a crowd of stunned co-workers and costumers, and died on the sidewalk outside of the shop. Jesse was distraught when he found out. Torres was a friend of his as well as an employee of 18 years. 
     A week later, Andalusia reopened to fill passover and Easter orders, but it wasn't the same. My uncle was so affected by this incident that he decided to sell the business to a CPA named Andy Kaplan for $500,000. He helped with training and encouraged his former employees to remain. He even gave Kaplan recipes, and helped by making the transition quiet and slow so costumers wouldn't notice. However, Kaplan decided to rapidly expand to seven South Florida locations and went bankrupt within a decade. 
     The business where Andalusia once was is now a Chocolatier. I actually visited the chocolatier, called Chocolate Fashion, for my sixteenth birthday. It is a very nice place, and the people were kind. However, this whole period of time was a sad part of my Uncle Jesse's life. He moved on by retiring to a beautiful home in the Keys in 1988, right on the water. He took to fishing with the same fervor that he brought to baking and began making smoked fish spreads. He also continued baking by making pies for the neighbors, and bringing homemade eggnog to family Christmases. 
     Jesus Seijas Quesada died of multiple myeloma at Baptist Hospital on August 19, 2010. I was 11-years old, and this was the first death I had experienced. I decided when I was 8 that I wanted to follow in my great uncle's footsteps (in the field of baking), and even more-so once I heard this story. His legend should be continued. He was a kind man with raw talent. Andalusia Bake Shop was known as the Tiffany of baked goods. No birthday party seemed right without his cakes, and no bar mitzvah seemed complete without his braided challahs. He was a kind man with raw talent. His legend deserves to live on.

10 comments:

  1. I like the backstory and the inspiration for the magazine. It was personal and that's something different from all the other projects I've heard/read about. I don't know much about magazines, so I am not the best person to give any advice, but I like the direction that your going in. It's probably something different from the rest of the other projects. However, you need more blog posts. Do not want a poor grade in this quarter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your magazine incorporates something significant to you. I really respect that you are almost dedicating this magazine to your uncle and the creations he made. With this being said, I think you'll be able to truly create a captivating magazine because if is something you clearly care about. The overall design of your blog is really appealing and appropriate for your project. The only advice I would give you is that in your next posts, you should incorporate some visuals of some things you'd like to feature in your magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked at Andalusia for Jesse and Dolores. He taught me how to decorate cakes and so much more.
    I was there on that tragic day. Never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I loved the new york blackout cakes I would buy from Andalusia bakery. I've tried making them myself and finding them at other bakeries with no success. Yours is a great story! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lived in Miami till 1979 and I still think of this marvelous bakery. Miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it possible to locate the cheesecake recipe????? I have never tasted one so rich and cheesy since.

    ripshin at excite.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The seven layer cake was my family's favorite. Every special occasion was celebrated with one of these cakes of perfection! Every trip to Andalusia to see Jesse was special!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I worked at Andalucia bakery in the early 1990's. In fact I worked at 3 different ones. The original,the kendal store and the one in downtown. I met the original owner once. Nice guy! That ANDY KAPLAN was a real S.O.B! Arrogant and nasty! He use to say derogatory things about customers he didn't like behind their backs. I was sadden to learn when it went bankrupt but was glad in a way because that S.O.B was now KAPUT! RAY.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you share the rainbow sprinkle cookie recipe?? I LOVED Andalusia bakery! Grew up eating their treats. My mom would take us after visiting the doctors office which was next door. Would love to be able to bake those cookies!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My partner Michael worked for your Grandfather!He loved him. We have a bakery in California. We also have a Customer who is Jesse nephew.

    ReplyDelete